Household Hazardous Waste

Did you know?

That most home, car and yard care products should NOT be thrown in the trash?
Paint, used motor oil and most cleaning products are considered to be hazardous waste?

If these products are put in the landfill, they can contaminate our groundwater.

What do I do with them if I can't throw them in the trash?
Take them to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility at the Prima Deshecha Landfill*

Take I-5 to Ortega Hwy. turn right (going inland) to La Pata. Turn right to the landfill. Follow the cars to the right. There will be a gate. Tell them you are taking things to Household Hazardous Waste and the guard will direct you.

What? is accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility
TV monitors, cellphones, computers (e-waste), paints and paint products, solvents, automotive products (antifreeze, motor oil, fluid), batteries (home and car), herbicides, fuels, medicines, mercury, pesticides, polishes and waxes, pool and spa chemicals, propane tanks from BBQs, unused road flares, wood preservatives

What is not accepted?
Ammunition, explosives, asbestos, radioactive materials

When? is the facility open
*On non-rainy days, Tuesday thru Saturday from 9am to 1pm

Is it free?
Yes, to residents, but businesses are charged a fee.

Are there limits to what I can take?
Yes. A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds may be transported per vehicle, per trip. Materials should be in their original containers (except motor oils, fuels and antifreeze).
Containers larger than 5 gallons in size will not be accepted.

To report spills 366-1553

For more information, go here